Blogging in the Classroom

        As I learn more about blogs and their educational value, I have begun to think about how I might incorporate them into my classroom.  I had heard of blogs before, and even have friends who blog, but I really just thought of them as an online journal of sorts, as a way to vent or write down thoughts and feelings.  I had definitely not considered their value as an educational tool.

        Blogs could serve a valuable purpose in my classroom.  I look toward the future and see students researching and analyzing content.  I see them eager to write and comment on my, or other classmates posts.  I see their critical thinking skills improve, as well as their research and writing skills as well.  I would like to start my blogging experience in my classroom by posting links to current event articles or posts and have students read and respond.  Eventually I would like to see my students being the ones to find topics that are of interest to them, and of course are relevant in my class, and post them.  Students would then be required to comment on the posts of their classmates (Richardson, 2010).

        I currently teach 8th grade Civics at a large suburban school.  I have approximately 90 students who fill a wide range of abilities and backgrounds.  I can see blogs as being an exceptional teaching tool to use in my practice.  As a Civics teacher I am always attempting to connect what we are learning about with current events happening both in our country and around the world.  Connecting the classroom to the outside world is an important way to help students realize the importance of not only what they are learning but also the historical and current significance of our Constitution including the Bill of Rights.  I can see blogging as a way to enhance this connection.  For example, my students currently read and respond to one current event article, chosen by me, per week.  They write a response citing evidence from the reading and submit it to me via Google Classroom.  To be honest, this is boring, both for myself and them.  I believe that altering this assignment to allow them to post a shorter response or comment, and see and interact with the comments of their peers will not only increase their interest and excitement but probably improve their writing and the quality of their responses.  Knowing their writing will be read by their classmates may encourage some of them to work harder (Laureate Education Inc. 2015). Also students who may be to shy to speak up in class may be encouraged to participate more because of the privacy factor found online (Yuen & Cheung, 2013).  Martin (Laureate Ed. 2015) expanded on this by stating that on a blog everyone gets to participate and share their ideas, unlike in a class where only a few students may participate.  Martin (Laureate Ed. 2015) and Yuen and Cheung (2013) agree that by giving students time to think about their responses, they start to gain more insight and provide a deeper level of thought, and the quality of their responses is greater.

        Two International Society for technology in Education (ISTE) Standards for Students (2016) that blogging would address are that of the Empowered Learner (1) and Knowledge Constructor (3).  By having students participate in classroom blogs they will be able to use technology that "improves their practice and demonstrates their learning in a variety of ways" (1c). Students will be able to show me that they are comprehending the material outside of the traditional classroom assessments.  Students will also become more critical thinkers through the process of reading and commenting on the responses of their peers (Laureate, 2015).  According to ITSE Standard 3a students will learn to "employ effective research strategies to locate information and other resources" Richardson (2010) agrees, he believes that blogging teaches students how to effectively analyze the worthiness of sources, an important skill in a world where anyone can be an "expert". The ISTE Standards for Teachers (2008) that are especially relevant in my class are Standard 1b "Engaging students in exploring real world issues[...]" and 1c "Promoting reflection through collaborative tools [...]". I try to bring the real world into my classroom as much as possible and my subject matter lends itself to the easily.  Collaboration is an essential piece of the learning process and it is through the collaborative process students begin to think on a higher level.  ITSE Standard 2a is also relevant as it states that teachers are using "relevant learning experiences that incorporate digital tools and resources to promote student learning and creativity".   Having students participate in a classroom blog that connects what they are learning to real world issues is an providing an authentic 21st Century learning experience.  In addition, when students are able to include their own interests into the mix they will be further engaged in the learning process.

        In summary, as I have begun to learn about blogs I have realized the value they can bring to my teaching practice.  I am eager to explore this strategy more and learn how to introduce blogging to my students and their parents.

Resources

Gina ONG May Yuen1, g., & Wing Sum CHEUNG2, w. (2013). What Students Like and Dislike about Blogs: A Two-Case Study. New Horizons in Education, 61(2), 93-110

International Society for Technology in Education (ISTE). (2016). Standards for students. Retrieved January 16, 2018 from http://www.iste.org/standards/standards/for-students2016

International Society for Technology in Education (ISTE). (2008). Standards for teachers. Retrieved January 16, 2018 from http://www.iste.org/standards/standards/standards-forteachers

Laureate Education (Producer). (2015c). Spotlight on technology: Blogging in the classroom [Video file]. Baltimore, MD: Martin, Kathy

Richardson, W. (2010). Blogs, wikis, podcasts, and other powerful web tools for classrooms (3rd ed.). Thousand Oaks, CA: Corwin









Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Reflective Essay EDUC 6710

The Application of Constructivist/Constructionist Theories in Education